Monday, January 6, 2014

Get Wet! Mommy Brain Monday

During the Christmas holidays, I was very sick, had a bad cold. I was walking around in such a fog, more than I normally am. I decided enough was enough and started doing research. Apparently, in spite of the lack of comments confirming I am not alone, I am NOT alone.

I figured since I am not alone, I would give my readers a tip a week, to help with the memory loss and general fogginess many Moms experience after giving birth. The results were surprisingly sparse. I could find little about the condition. Beyond the effect of lack of sleep, there was no other explanations.  I did however find a few interesting facts, ones that could apply.

The first tip is the easiest to follow and the cheapest, that is the only reason it is number one.

Mommy Brain reducer #1:

WATER! WATER! AND MORE WATER!

Mothers (especially breastfeeding mothers) can be prone to dehydration for several reasons. Mine would be that I drink a lot of Pepsi to keep myself awake during the day. Some Moms just get busy with other things and forget to drink water. Nursing Mothers need extra water, to help with milk supply and obviously the hydration of her infant.

This is what Sarah DeWitt Ince, eHow Contributor, had to say about water:

" Just like the rest of your body, your brain also needs good hydration. Water is the transportation system for nutrients because it carries vitamins to the cells where they are needed most. In addition, water also removes waste, which can contribute to bring fog. " Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5666233_rid-brain-fog.html#ixzz2pgnjGK90"


Ways to get more water:
• Drink when you snack, or eat. Each time you eat something, drink some water.
• Eat your water. Find foods that have a higher water content like juicy fruits and vegetables.
• Add flavor. My favorite is to add a cut up cucumber or blueberries to my water. Really you can add any fruit or veggie if you like it, or mix it up with strawberries and kiwi.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: